What if I say Shopify in 2020 makes it easy to rank your store than ever before, very few will believe me as there aren’t much Shopify Stores ranking in Search results. Unless you are a social media influencer or have a large list of contacts to sell to, you might need to rely on organic search engine traffic to sell online. So, what are most of the users doing wrong with Shopify SEO? Shopify SEO means SEO improvements that are unique to Shopify than other sites. While Shopify comes with the blog feature along with the ability to redirect it can also create some SEO issues. Like Duplicate content. Below are some of the Shopify SEO recommendations:
- Removal of Duplicate URLs from interlinking
- Removal of Duplicate paginated URLs
- Creation of Blog Content for Keywords with informational intent
- Addition of Product, Article, and breadcrumb list as structured data
- Determine how to handle product variant pages
- Compress Images for faster loading Speeds
- Removal of unnecessary Shopify Apps
In terms of Shopify SEO, Duplicate content is the main reason why Shopify sites struggle to rank on the search results. Duplicate content occurs when either duplicate or similar content exists on two different URLs. This confuses the Search Engines as they can’t determine which one should be the canonical version. In Shopify Duplicate content is created in the following ways:
- Duplicate Product Pages
- Duplicate Collections Pages through pagination
Crawling and Indexing
A very important issue in Shopify is that you cannot edit the robots.txt file, it is also stated in their official documentation. Shopify will disallow crawling in, on the below-mentioned sections:
- Admin Area
- Shopping Cart
- Internal Search
- Policies Page
You can try other ways of adjusting Google’s crawl such as”nofollow” or canonical tags.
Performing Keyword research on Shopify is very similar to the research you would perform for other eCommerce stores. You can generate keywords in the following ways:
- Export keyword data from Google AdWords.
- Research AdWords keywords that have high conversion rates.
- Review keywords the site currently gets clicks/impressions for in Google Search Console.
- Research high priority keywords and generate new ideas using Keyword Tool.
- Run your competitors via. tools like Ahrefs.
Shopify does provide the ability to create a blog, but this often is ignored by most of the Shopify Stores. In 2020 content is the King, So it makes sense in running a blog that enhances your Shopify Store and adds value to your listed products. Follow the below steps if you run a Shopify Store:
- Identify the highest priority keywords
- Manually perform a Google query for each one
- Make note of the types of content Google is ranking on the first page
- If you see primarily mixed content, evaluate your own content to see if you have any that matches the user intent.
- If you don’t have content, consider creating a new blog around informational topics fulfilling the user intent.
With Apps, you can enhance the overall functionality and add advanced functionality to your site without manually adjusting the code. Try Shopify SEO Doctor App – The Best Shopify SEO App, SEO Doctor is a one-stop solution to all your Shopify Store’s SEO needs. With the SEO Doctor Shopify SEO plugin, you can rank your store higher in Google and increase traffic with autopilot mode. Find and fix SEO issues like fixing huge images affecting the store loading speeds, SEO Doctor automatically compresses them and instantly adds SEO approved alt-text to product images. Automate SEO issues with the autopilot feature of Shopify plugin seo alternative. The autopilot feature automatically optimizes the product pages with Title, Description, and Product Images for faster ranking on Google. Get your store faster and with better SEO rankings by adding JSON-LD to your store. Other than this you also get features like Image Alt-Text Fixing, Image Compression, Image Renaming, Website Speed Booster, Real-Time 404 Error Tracking, 404 Error Fixing, Sitemap Submission, Google webmaster tools integration, Google Knowledge Graph Support, Google Page Speed Integration, Google Mobile-Friendly Test and more… Also Read, How to Overcome Shopify SEO Issues with SEO Doctor?